I am a SCORE mentor!People can contact me through SCORE for free mentoring via email for Internet and computer advice. They (You) will become a SCORE client, and I will be a resource for them (you) in that context.
FIRST AND FOREMOST: I will hold in strict confidence all information or discussions between you and me in ALL counseling sessions, including face-to-face, telephone, and email sessions.
I volunteer my time as a SCORE Counselor to share my technical experience and knowledge with small business entrepreneurs who can benefit from such advice.
What I can do as a SCORE Counselor:
- Listen to your plans, and through a questioning process help you to clarify your goals.
- Steer you toward sources to accumulate information and data which will help you to determine the soundness of your plans.
- Offer you written material to aid in setting up a plan which will be the basis of your efforts to realize your goals.
- Be supportive and offer encouragement.
What I cannot do as a SCORE Counselor:
- I cannot tell you what kind of business you should try to establish.
- I cannot make decisions for you.
- I cannot do the work for you, even if you offer money.
- I cannot give you money.
What you need to do:
Before you contact me or any other SCORE Counselor, you need to know what kind of business you want to explore. This YouTube video is harsh, but I think it shows a realistic perspective: 15 Things You Should Know When Starting A Business ( about 13 minutes into the video, step number 10 discusses mentors/mentoring).
Before you contact me, you should have a basic business plan that includes information like this:
- You should have an idea of the market for your product or services (who, where, how).
- You should have some idea of pricing and projected revenue.
- You should have an idea of what the costs will be to open the door.
- How much of your money you have available to invest and how much you may need to borrow.
- You should also know how much money you will need to live on before your business becomes profitable.
You can add this information for a 1-2 paragraph "elevator pitch," and it will be helpful to send it to your SCORE mentor, too.
One website describes an elevator pitch as "...a short, pre-prepared speech that explains what your organization does, clearly and succinctly."
Another website (Wikipedia) says "...a short description of an idea, product, company, or oneself that explains the concept in a way such that any listener can understand it in a short period of time. This description typically explains who the product/company is for, what it does, why it is needed, and how it will get done." (Google it.)
I (and any other SCORE Counselor) can and will direct you to resources that will assist you in developing a business plan that will put the pieces together before you open the door. Through your Counselor, you have access to the experience and expertise of all members of the Chapter.
I (and any other SCORE Counselor) will remain available to you for as long as you need support.
Click here to request me as a mentor: SCORE.ORG