is closingJune 30, 2021
This is a HUGE problem for EasyNetSites customers. The customers all appear to be Genealogy Societies in the US....
No Competition For EasyNetSites
- The use of the web application & all updates
- Free hosting with no bandwidth limitation and 3 gigabytes of storage
- 5 email addresses (no mention of forwarders)
- I don't know if domain registration was part of the price package, but EasySiteNets would, could, and did handle it.
Even today those services alone cost $100 a year. EasyNetSites was basically giving away its intellectual services to the smaller organizations.
Another benefit to customers was the EasyNetSites owner's background:
- His IT experience allowed him to personally write and maintain the back-end website software.
- His Genealogy experience gave him an insight into what the organizations need, and he could offer solutions that were not obvious to non-technical board members
- Content - He was not going to write or edit anything the organization wanted to post.
- Roles & training - He had a list of skills that he expected an organization to provide, and if the individual did not have the skills, he would provide an hour or two of training. That training would be recorded and available for future replacements
- $80/year - Web hosting
- $45/year - Domain registration (we have more than 1 domain)
- $25/year - Cloud Storage
- $25/year - Theme renewal
- $40/year - Support for Membership Plugin
- $100/year - Wordfence protection
2021 - A Way Ahead
People & Skills
- Collect resources (Password Manager and Google Account, etc)
- Define Requirements (Mandatory, desirable, and optional)
- Assign Job titles & descriptions (and who)
- Set up email for the organization
- Define/add pages
- Create menu(s)
- Add content to the pages
- Social Media
How to help the genealogy sites in 2021
Define requirements before starting
Bring up a basic WP website
- Misc notes:
- WPGen will agree on the checklist before offering it to the first "client"
- WPGen can offer to look over the shoulder of whoever is going to buy/register their domain, and guide them in updating the DNS information.
- Multi-site? Single installations? cPanel & subdomains? TBD.
- Web-hosting begins with shared hosting for the first 4-5 clients, then moves to dedicated hosting when performance sags.
- WPGen will install WordPress, theme, and the first round of plugins.
- If previously defined and agreed upon, WPGEN will add blank pages and a menu structure.
- All of this will be done before providing the WordPress login.